Keeping you and your family safe from unseen harms is our top priority here at Protection Associates, Inc. For this week’s installment of our Security Series we are covering carbon monoxide detectors.
Carbon monoxide is a dangerous chemical that can have devastating consequences. Carbon monoxide is a scentless and colorless chemical so you would be unable to detect it. But how does carbon monoxide function? And more importantly, how does it become a threat in our businesses and homes?
Carbon monoxide is harmful because it occupies the space our blood uses to carry oxygen. In doing this, carbon monoxide limits the amount of oxygen the hemoglobin in our blood can carry to oxygenate our body tissues. What’s worse is that carbon monoxide continues to do this until there is no room for oxygen in the blood, essentially suffocating the individual.
According to the Center for Disease Control, carbon monoxide can leak into your home through a variety of manners. For example, faulty heating appliances can leak carbon monoxide as a by-product of their functioning. Improper ventilation can also lead to a dangerous build up of carbon monoxide in your home. In your business, a work truck left running without improper ventilation in the garage can also lead to a build up of carbon monoxide. Essentially, anything that burns fuel will produce dangerous carbon monoxide.
While you should always be vigilant about carbon monoxide in your home or business, Protection Associates, Inc. can be helpful to offer extra protection. With a carbon monoxide detector incorporate into your home security system, it can prevent a tragedy from occurring before it is too late.
The technology of carbon monoxide detectors is simple, but it is effective. In short, the sensor is comprised of three electrodes. These electrodes are suspended in a electricity conducting liquid called an electrolyte. When carbon monoxide gas permeates the lining of the capsule, the molecules become charged by the solution. This creates an electrical charge that triggers the alarm system to the presence of carbon monoxide in the air. The greater the amount of carbon monoxide present, the greater the electrical charge will be and the more urgent the alarm response will be. This will then alert your family and the authorities the danger present in the home.
Carbon monoxide alarms are lifesavers and should be integrated into your home security system. Our technicians here at Protection Associates, Inc. can help you figure out the best way to integrate these alarms into your home security systems. Contact us today for your cost- and obligation-free security review!